SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updating my mainsail reefing rigging
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Couple of clairifications

Faster and Sailingdog thanks for your excellent responses and advice.

I realize I have 2 choices. One is to handle the reefing right on the boom and the other is to run lines back. Technically the leech line is currently led aft. Just not very elegantly. I also realize that Sailingdog’s advice is very sound keeping everyone in the cockpit, faster, and simpler, etc. But I do love to go forward in a blow and check things out. Plus I sail a monohull which means when I’m at hull speed Sailingdog is well into double digits and living it up! He probably covers 2-3 miles in the time it taks me to reef.

Faster I am ordering a Gauhauer rigid boom vang. I have wanted one for going down wind plus I’d love to lose the toping lift. Whenever we head downwind I run a line from the boom to the bow and then aft to act as a preventer. This works real well. I would seriously consider running everything aft but I hate to go to too much trouble because in a season or two we will be upsizing because the kids are getting much larger.

If I do decide to run lines aft how do I get sheaves inside the boom? I assume you have to make cutouts. Is there any way to be sure this will not weaken the boom too much? Or should I just shop for a new one. If I decide to keep the action up by the gooseneck is there a special mounting plate to put a winch on the boom or is this a metal shop issue?

Thanks once again for your help and advice. I will be reading the links so I can learn to use this forum better. And I plan to check out the reefing links this evening.

LH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook