SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updating my mainsail reefing rigging
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
OK it's making sense now!

Faster and Sailingdog;

You pack a lot of info into one post! Garhauer required tracings of the boom and mast on their order form so it comes with everything I will need. They told me the boom will not drop due to the model I am buying. They make them custom for each application and I felt like they give really good value for the price. Sailingdog confirms my decision.

I like what you said about using the hardware that exists for the Vang. I believe that is what it was used for in the past life of the boat due to a conveniently placed bail mid-boom. I have also used it to run a downhaul through the Cunningham to play with the sail shape.

My outhaul is a joke. The main has slugs that run along the boom. The block at the end is very small. I go from it up to a cleat. There is no block and tackle, nothing internal. But it’s only a 30 footer and the main is 254 ft². So I tighten the outhaul for strong winds and loosen it as they moderate. But I cannot re-tighten it without taking the load off the sail. I wonder what would happen if I just cut the lug off?

I think I will try to stay external like you all and Mikehoyt discussed. It gives Murphy fewer opportunities and conforms to the KISS principal.

Sailingdog I know the line to the bow is not an optimal preventer. Do you have a favorite boom brake. I used it because it was cheap – well free actually! And thanks for the tips on the winch mounting.

Thank you for all your help.

LH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook