SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updating my mainsail reefing rigging
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 01-19-2008 Thread Starter
lharmon

OK it's making sense now!

Faster and Sailingdog;

You pack a lot of info into one post! Garhauer required tracings of the boom and mast on their order form so it comes with everything I will need. They told me the boom will not drop due to the model I am buying. They make them custom for each application and I felt like they give really good value for the price. Sailingdog confirms my decision.

I like what you said about using the hardware that exists for the Vang. I believe that is what it was used for in the past life of the boat due to a conveniently placed bail mid-boom. I have also used it to run a downhaul through the Cunningham to play with the sail shape.

My outhaul is a joke. The main has slugs that run along the boom. The block at the end is very small. I go from it up to a cleat. There is no block and tackle, nothing internal. But it’s only a 30 footer and the main is 254 ft². So I tighten the outhaul for strong winds and loosen it as they moderate. But I cannot re-tighten it without taking the load off the sail. I wonder what would happen if I just cut the lug off?

I think I will try to stay external like you all and Mikehoyt discussed. It gives Murphy fewer opportunities and conforms to the KISS principal.

Sailingdog I know the line to the bow is not an optimal preventer. Do you have a favorite boom brake. I used it because it was cheap – well free actually! And thanks for the tips on the winch mounting.

Thank you for all your help.

LH
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome