SailNet Community - View Single Post - When does KISS become stupid?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
But then they really got my attention by saying that they found the systems too complicated, removed the engine for more storage, and opted for a sextant over a GPS. The magazine did not offer any counterpoint, although we may eventually see some letters to the editor.

Did anyone else see this? Are these sound judgments or are they simply Luddites?
I haven't read the article, but am often amused by the warnings associated with GPS units that they "shouldn't be the only means of navigation". Reading behind the lines there, every modern boatie should be using a sextant - just to make sure the GPS position is right - because a sextant position can't possibly be wrong, can it?

I have yet to meet a stinkpotter who even knows what a sextant is - let alone knows how to use one...

Very thought-provoking.