SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paininting non-skid...
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
I'd hate to spend the time it would take to sand and paint the deck with two coats and then find out that you needed the primer when the expensive 2-part poly started to lift three weeks later. I put down primer first on our deck, with three coats of nonskid and it's lasted about five years. I'm planning to spot-cover worn spots this coming spring. The primer does nice things like filling in crazing and filling dings. The 2-part poly not only doesn't do that, it telegraphs any minor imperfection in the surface. Also, please don't forget to add flattening agent to keep the reflection down. The one thing I'd do differently is to add the maximum amount of nonskid granules suggested into the paint. It sounds like you plan to add nonskid sand using the salt-shaker method, between coats. This may not work well because 2-part poly is so thin that the relatively large grains of sand won't have much to hold them down, and the next coat may just knock them loose. 2-part poly also hardens up so fast that the sand may just bounce off by the time you get to spreading it. I was hard-pressed to even tip the paint with a brush, it hardened up so quickly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook