SailNet Community - View Single Post - decent sleep anyone?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Another opinion form another back pain sufferer....

I used to be able to sleep in our V berth without any problems - not any more. I believe that a lot of the discomfort comes from the way V berth cushions are designed... the 3 cushion layout with two triangular cushions going most of the way and then that little cutout cushion meant to allow access to the foot well under the V berth. (It is a footwell isn't it? Or exactly what is it? On our boat it's a great place to store the laundry bag and extra shoes... )

Lynn Pardey mentions changing their cushion layout in one of her books. She had it changed to just 2 cushions: one that goes full width of the V berth to half way up and one that goes the rest of the way. That way the seams of the cushions would fall about hip height instead of running half way down the length of the bed and then that little cutout which always seems to have the seam somewhere around my mid back.

Well, next time we get new cushions I'm going to try a simular design. It would still allow acess to under the V berth, but cut down on all those seams and zipper edges digging into my back...

Also since boat cushions fit exactly into the space (and boat spaces are NEVER square), you can't flip the cushions, so they tend to flatten where the body weight is heaviest . And that makes them uncomfortable after a couple of years too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook