SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Midshipman 40
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Cheoy Lee Midshipman 40

Hey Everyone,

So in the last thread I posted, it was recommended by the community that I narrow my boat search to Ketches since I have a bridge height restriction where I live which is 55' on due to the I-95 bridge over the New River in Ft. Lauderdale. I've evaluated a few, and due to my limited budget only old boats are appearing in the list. Nothing local though....till today!

I see a listing for a Cheoy Lee Midshipman 40 with the following specs:

50 HP Perkins that was installed in 1994, 1600 hours
New Roller Furling in 2001
Rigging & Chainplates replaced in 2001
Lewmar winches (these must not be original for Cheoy Lee)
Aluminum Spars (I think these are replaced too,originals were wood, right?)
No word on electronics...how much would it be to install new Radar on mizzen mast, Depth, Wind meters. I intend to use a pair of panasonic toughbook tablets with electronic charts and NMEA handheld gps attached for navigating at the helm and down below.

"Teak decks removed & resurfaced". The listing is a bit vague here. I read it to be that there are no longer any more teak decks, in that they were removed entirely and the deck resurfaced with glass. It could also be read that they were simply removed, resurfaced/refinished and then reinstalled. If it is the latter, then I'm running away. If the former, how well do these kind of arrangements hold up, as in do decks adapt well to having teak removed and direct pressure on them from foot traffic?

In any case, this boat is listing for a price range I can get into...coupled with its 4'6" draft, I'm seriously evaluating it. I know wiring on this builder has a rough reputation, but other than that what other stuff should I look for? Wiring I know, but what else? I'm not expecting a thrilling ride on this one (27000 lbs of displacement) but will she serve me well on a down island hop in a few years?

Let the comments and feedback flow!

Thanks

--night0wl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook