SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Lights
Thread: Anchor Lights
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003

robw_fl is on a distinguished road
Anchor Lights

Have to go back to my notes..but it''s my understanding that an anchor light isn''t functioning as an indicator of length or horizontal position of the vessel unless it''s size merits it. The rule for boats of your size reads: Power driven vessels and sailing vessels at anchor must display anchor lights. An anchor light for a vessel less than 50 meters in length is an all-around white light visible for 2 miles exhibited where it can best be seen.

Vessels OVER 50 meters I believe, are to show a fore and aft light - which would indicate length. Forward one lower than aft if I remember correctly. There''s another delineation of even larger vessels that must show deck illumination.

in your case, I can''t wait to hear what the lawyers and CG have to say. Hell, they wrote the rule you were abiding by.

If they wanted you to have a light on your dinghy, they should have made a rule for that too - unless they are trying to consider it a tow...even while you were at anchor???? Laughable, but from what I gather, this is no laughing matter. sorry to hear you''re even having to ask this silly question. Best of luck to you,

Rob.
S/V Barefoot Girl
Sarasota, FL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook