Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 16
I've posted ths before but it is cheap and works great and lasts for years!
- Buy THICK 3 strand nylon line that is thicker than the gap between your mast and the deck hole (mast partner). It should be long enough to wrap around the mast 3-4 times...usually around 10' is plenty.
- Get a couple of tubes of marine silicone.
- wrap once around the mast with the line then pound it down with a mallet and dull chisel into the space between mast and partner.
- Layer in a good thicklayer of silicone on top of this.
- repeat this step until you have at least three layers and have completely filled the vertical space in the partners. More wraps are better.
- Put the mast boot on and you are done for the next few years!
Hint...sometimes you need a little help getting the line wedged in as you work around the mast hole. A "come-along" line around the mast and run to a winch can help pull the mast in the right direction to make getting the line in easier.
It works great and has give so it holds up over time.
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!