SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nissan / Tohatsu 6h 4 stroke
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I've said this before but I just want to repeat it.

You "did your research", said... " I was semi clueless prior to this episode. I have educated myself a lot during it." know very little about engines (paraphrasing), bought your motor over the internet, then take it to a service center where you don't hear the answer you want, bitch to high heaven to and about about this motor, including how THE SAE and standardized testing has been done for decades.

"HP rating in the lab but if it can't meet it under real world conditions doing actual work then the manufacture needs to de-rate the engine regardless of what the federal government says

Hell, its even the governments fault. Do you have a sweet clue as to how testing is done? My God man, do you understand the term "Brake HP", or how bout "Shaft HP", what about "Flywheel HP", I'm even going to throw in PTO output HP. all different, all NOT REAL WORLD. But, they are standards.

It wouldn't be that hard for the manufacture to publish data on each engine with each prop against a water speed vs engine rpm chart so that people would know that with this engine with the lowest pitch prop if your hull speed is such and such this is how the engine would perform

Your boat is the only boat on the water. How many sailboats would they have to test and publish? How about jon boats, aluminum and fiberglass, wood, composite, fishing boats, inflatables, RIB's, small vee's, small modified vee's, flat bottoms, dingys, life rafts, or anything that flosts that a prospective owner may want to strap it to. What is going to make you happy? ok, i'm bored....

Unless you have access to that top-secret chrome plated "at-the prop that I wanna use on my particular boat dyno" you're SOL.

"I have conducted many empirical tests with equipment I purchased at my cost to test and monitor thrust and rpm."

So, you bought this motor to save a couple of scheckles, eh? hows that workin' for ya?

"Nowhere else have I even found anyone including the manufacture that has tested or published data like this."

and no one will care because you're not all that reliable of a testing lab. Oh, I don't mean that your tests are no good, but what was the ambiant temp that day, relative humidity, water temp, lube oil weight, type and temp, operating temp, the list goes on... (thats why god, the SAE and the gov't made standardized testing.

I'm going to say it again. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

You've been turned back by the mfr, the dealer that sold it, the various service centers, even the credit card company told you to take a hike... ever stop to think that maybe it not their fault?

Whiners really piss me off.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 01-27-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook