SailNet Community - View Single Post - 81 Catalina 38 '' Sparkman Stevens
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003

ccnightsail is on a distinguished road
81 Catalina 38 '''' Sparkman Stevens

None taken, Denr.
I own a beginner boat Oday 22'' for the last 4 seasons - so I have an excuse about not knowing about Catalina''s. As to my comments about the motor, my brother in law owns an Endevor which has a cockpit the size of a living room and has 50 hp for motoring. Since the Endevors displacement is an extra 7000 lbs, from the Cal 38 I was describing, it probably needs the extra 25 hp to push the thing around. He likes to motor everywhere so he reccomended to me that the 25 hp sounded insufficent to make thru the Cape Cod Canal in an efficent manner. I don''t think motor sailing everywhere is my idea of sailing. While I have taken almost every course the cape cod power squadron has to offer, I dont claim to be an expert but I was going on what the Broker told me about the hull design. And Yes, a trawler might be faster than my Oday 22''. Sailor Mitch - Thanks for your input. How did you think the C38 did when you were sailing along side it? If you recall, how did it look in the water? Displacement: 15900 Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook