SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on aging SSB equipment
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Need advice on aging SSB equipment

I've started looking into our cruising communications set up a little more. The boat came with an IC-m700 with an A-130 tuner but that's where my understanding ends. Taped to the M700 is a Kantronics KAM plus. I looked this up on the internet but still have no idea what it is. There is also a proctor-II which I understand is some sort of modem. Now, having tried to understand this myself through other threads and a little internet surfing I gather that the M700 isn't well suited for e-mail use due to the lack of an "accessory jack with the necessary AF input, AF output, and PTT signals"(sailmail website). The website goes on to talk about limited continuous output. However, it also mentions the possibility of modifying the radio for this use. Is this what my KAM plus that is so neatly taped to the Transceiver is for? I'm at a loss because there are no associated cables to connect any of this. So, I know the equipment is old but does it make sense to buy a unit like a m700 pro or is this system viable?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook