SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pictures of your oil lamps please.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Alex,
We don't use ours very often in summer cos it does give off a bit of heat but any other time of year it's fine. Not good enough to read by but gives off enough light if we are just slouching about or , say, playing scrabble or the like. To my mind candles are a pain although on our PB I had a small candle lamp with glass sides (no blow out) that used altar candles which are dripless. (edit - they only smoke after sex or if the wick needs trimming/adjusting.)

As an aside, when we were down in Tasmania a couple of years back I noticed that a lot of boats with spirit stoves put an upturned flower pot on their stove as a heater. The pottery (ceramic ? clay ?) absorbs the heat and radiates warmth for a goodly time even after being removed from the heat source. They swear by them. Come winter I'm going to try it with one of the hurricane lamps. (Not good to leave a gas stove burning for hours at a time). OK so we get pretty mild winters down here so it doesn't take a lot to heat the cabin.

Obvious warning to anyone who has never used an oil lamp , make sure the cabin is well ventilated.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook