SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pictures of your oil lamps please.
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Alex, I have a hanging oil lamp I bought from the poor girl who fell off Picton Castle (see Overboard: Laura Gainey's Death and the Picton Castle) and I have a paraffin lamp mounted on the forward bulkhead. I will get you some pictures when I go aboard next week.

Do NOT use kerosene (unless it's an outdoors anchor lamp). Use high-quality paraffin and if you are unfamiliar with how to use any kind of oil lamp...practice on land! Trimming the wick from square to round edges gives a better flame, and the usual procedure is to lift the glass or otherwise access the wick with it about 2 cm. high. Once lit, lower the wick until it is 0.5 cm high...this will usually give plenty of flame. Lowering it further will extinguish the flame, but you have to be careful that it is truly out.

Probably for your boat a hanging lamp would be best because then you would only have to put a hook of some type in the cabin roof and the light (which is only good for atmosphere unless it is one of those larger models like Sapperwhite's miner's lamp) will be cast evenly around your cabin.

Open candles are a terrible idea on a boat, with the exception of tea candles in heavy bases, and that's strictly fair weather stuff.

There's a few religious groups in North America who don't like electricity, and consequently have continued to evolve oil lantern technology, such as it is. Dietz is one of the better companies:

http://lanternnet.com/

Lehman's is a company that sells products to people who don't have electricity or live "off the grid" (not your types, I know), and they sell dozens of oil lamp styles.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...C2%2C669%2C682
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook