SailNet Community - View Single Post - anchors
Thread: anchors
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2001

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
anchors

Walt 123,
I have only cruised the Great Lakes so I have no experience with coral. My experience with Bruce anchors has been very good. In one instance I was anchored in a small harbor 50 feet deep, 6 feet of chain and 200 feet of nylon rode. The wind rose to 35 knots and we held fast. Four other boats did not. In sand a Bruce anchor will hold fast even on a slightly downsloping bottom: sometimes I anchor at South Manitou on this downsloping bottom and have no problem. So overall I am very pleased with Bruce Anchors but have had two situations in which they held only because there was little wind. One was in a cove of a small island in the middle of the North Channel where the bottom was round rock about 12 inches in diameter and the other was at Garden Island, north of Beaver Island, where the bottom was so hard the Bruce would not penetrate it. The CQR has much more weight and a point so maybe it would have gotten a bite in the round rocks and the super hard bottom, what do you think? I sail a small boat,have to bring up anchors as I need them and have to pull them out of the water by hand so I use the Bruce because it is much lighter and is really easy to clean. I have two Bruce 11 pounders. If I had a boat with an elecric windlass I would try one CQR and one Bruce if weight were not a problem otherwise I would go with one CQR.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook