SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pictures of your oil lamps please.
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
What a splendid chap you are. Thanks so much for the Dietz info.

I mentioned earlier that we have a couple of hurricane lamps that we use in the cockpit but they are such rubbish that quite frankly I can't wait to bin the damn things. The wick adjustment is touch and go, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, The attachment of the wick holder to the base is so poor that it constantly comes loose, they leak oil if they are more than half full and the cap for the tank is simply pathetic. Unfortunately they were the only ones I could find down here and I had been thinking of heading off to the local market to see if I could find a half way decent second hand one. Provided Dietz will deliver to Australia, I'm in business. For once I can be thankful for the religious nutters.

In case anyone is curious, yes I can get reasonable quality oil lamps here but they all have those super dooper mantle things on them. Great for extra light but thats not what we wanted.

Regarding candles, I agree open candles are a complete no no on a boat. You'd have to be crazy. What we had was a fully enclosed lantern that used candles. It was perfectly safe, particularly with dripless candles and hung so they couldn't overturn. Nonetheless oil is better if for no other reason than the ability to add citronella to the oil, which is our main concern.

Thanks again.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook