SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beautifully finished wood interiors - how to get one?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008

rugila is on a distinguished road
Beautifully finished wood interiors - how to get one?

What's the best way to get a boat (monohull) with an interesting and good quality wood finished interior?

Early on I decided that I only wanted a boat that I really loved being in. For me this implied a good wood interior, and excluded Beneteau/Bavaria etc mass-produced charter types.

Seems that some of the northern European boats such as Halberg Rassy and Nautor are pretty good.

The best boat I found when looking had a one-off interior - really beautiful work. Unfortunately I missed out on that - but bought the same design (34ft) but with a pretty average standard interior.

Now want to upgrade to about 38ft. Top quality wooden interior and offshore capable are the main requirements.

So, question is this: Does anyone have views/experience on whether it's generally better to buy something like a Halberg Rassy (those are expensive boats) which does have a top interior, or to buy a much cheaper basic boat such as a Ted Brewer Morgan 38 and have it redone with a custom finished interior.

I did phone the guy who did the interior work I liked so much and had quite a talk with him. He did offer to do something similar for me, but my present boat isn't suitable and I'm still trying to decide whether to go that way or to try to find a good pre-finished one, which could well cost a bit too much even if I could find a good one. I also heard there's a guy down in Cartagena, Colombia who does pretty good work at a pretty good price.

I'm just hoping to get some feedback on this before I go ahead with whichever option.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook