SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beautifully finished wood interiors - how to get one?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I don't have any real "answers" for you but I am another with an insatiable lust for beautiful wood interiors and I'll share my different fixes for my addiction. When I bought a new Catalina 28 I couldn't stand the plastic sole so the winter before it was even splashed I hired a carpenter who formerly worked with Bristol Yachts in Bristol RI to make me one for around $2500 I believe. Of course it was much nicer than a factory job being fully framed with solid teak and all but it was a heck of a lot of money for a little 28 footer's sole
Then came my c320 which over the course of a few years I ended up with a mostly teak interior created in my cellar. At that time a large local wood dealer was selling out so I picked up a lot of heavy teak lumber and ripped my own boards. Some of the cabinetry work was very good and some was not but as you mentioned trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is hard ..... but I hate plastic.
Then I went the other way.... and for an obscene amount of money I have an interior that is totally plastic free that I love just sitting in
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 02-01-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook