SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard? Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003

c172guy is on a distinguished road
Living aboard? Where to start?

My wife and I are also planning to cruise for a few years. I suggest that you do a little sailing before you move aboard. We have spent several weeks a week at a time and many weekends aboard. The funny thing is that she reacts to living aboard better than I do. She likes to drink tea and read. Give her a good book and she hardly notices sailing even in the keys among reefs. I start to get bored after a few days. I''ll go exploring on shore while she prefers to stay aboard. I like the planning and naviagation she likes a quite place to anchor. I want to go sailing when it''s small craft advisory and whitecaps,she wants to find a deep cove. When we finally get to live aboard it will be interesting to see what happens. We have spent days at anchor in the pouring rain. She was just fine drinking tea and reading,by the end of the weekend I was looking forward to work!!!!!!!!!!!
My basic point is that you would be wise to see how you react to being on a boat before building a life around that lifestyle. The best sailing in my opinion is a small boat and a lot of wind. It is nice to spend the night or week aboard. But it is also great to get a steak dinner and a movie after a daysail.
Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook