SailNet Community - View Single Post - Puncture Resistant Bike Tires
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Just bringing this thread up to date with my recent experience.

I did finally get an armadillo tire from specialized, a tire place that makes, well, specialized tires for bicycles! The tire was easy to install, no different than any other tire really, and i also put a puncture resistant tube inside. So far, so good, that's the best I can say about it. It has been so cold the past few weeks I was not able to ride but today it was up in the 40's and 50's and I got out for a while. The tire rides fine, I did not notice the hard ride that I have heard some people talk about with the tire. Not much else to say, I've only ridden this tire for maybe 10 miles so far so I don't know yet how well it is working, but so far it seems to be okay. I had been having flats about every ride or two (or three), and I didn't have a flat on this ride ... but it's too early to say it's a trend.

As a funny side note, I got covered in mud, it was funny. The roads are still covered in ice and slush from the ice storm we had Thursday night and mud was flying everywhere!

Edit, and on the topic of helmets, no, I don't wear one, but that doesn't make it a smart decision. I have been over the handlebars once this year when I came down a steep hill and the front wheel got lodged between me and the earth, bent the rim all to hell and ended up on my back with the bicycle beside me. I try to be careful when I ride and I ride in places where there are very few cars, I can take a 10 mile ride sometimes and never see a single moving automobile where I am, but certainly a helmet would be a smart addition. I do ride with goggles, I've had too much crap in my eyes to ride without goggles - bugs, dirt, grit, bees, even the wind starts to dry your eyes out if you ride far enough. I should change that to relative wind I guess.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 02-03-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Helmet comments ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook