SailNet Community - View Single Post - Impressions at the Show
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
It is interesting to see the changes Catalina is making on their new models. Case in point - the new Catalina 375 pictures sent to me by a broker in FL indicate pretty clearly that C is following many of the ideas Hunter has been using for years - namely the type furler on their furling main, the deck plans and many of the interior features seem to mirror Hunter designs.
In terms of construction, having recently been to both plants recently, I can only say that Hunter seems to me to be clearly better built, stronger and with more attention to both strength and future maintenance but that is an opinion with which I'm sure others may disagree.
Making such statements typically starts a class war which is not my intent. Rather, only wanted to point out that it seems clear Catalina is changing their models to mirror Hunter's concepts which can't be as bad as some here might want to believe.
Paranthetically, I also had an opportunity to visit the Caliber factory as well as IP which are both quality boat companies and making any comparison to Catalina or Hunter seems misplaced as they are designed for very different purposes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook