SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Charters Dumb Question Perhaps
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008

82Venture22 is on a distinguished road
Bareboat Charters Dumb Question Perhaps

I have a question about these bareboat charters.

I am a very novice sailor. I have been sailing for about four years mostly Macgregors (I don't want to hear wise cracks about macs please).

I'm now in a 2006 Hunter 27 this is my first year in this boat.

I have the water craft safety card and I just finished the CYA Basic course last summer taught on a 42 foot hunter. I took this for no other reason then to be able to charter a boat on a trip like Greece the British Virgin Islands by myself with out any staff on board.

I go to these boat shows and I am facinated that these bareboat sailing charters seem to care nothing about my boating experience. All they seem to care about is that I have "some" sailing experience or at least the safety card. With this they will allow me to charter a boat by myself up to 50 feet?? How can that be?

I am sure that I can sail a boat in the 30ish feet area but anything bigger I worry more about docking and crashing then sailing. Is there a catch to all this ?

Someone told me they will challenge my experience and ask for my log book after I give them a deposit. I just can't imagine sailing boats this big with very few questions asked by these charter companies.

I would also like to know what is the reasonable budget to expect to pay for a week in Greece or the British Virgin Islands in a 30ish foot type boat. Most of these charter companies don't even seem to have boats this small they all seem to be in the 40s.

No wise cracks please ,, serious answers only.

Thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook