SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing in Europe?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Background: My wife and I are moving to Europe (France) for work. I currently have an O''day 302 here in NYC/CT.

Problem: Boats in France appear to be drastically over-valued. For the price I picked the 1988 O''day up for here in 1998, you can get a 1980 Jenneau. Hardly a bargain. This lead me to the idea that it may be cheaper to transport my current boat out to France, possibly in a shipping container or something.

Question: Does anyone have experience in this type of move, and does anyone know what the most economical method for moving a boat would be?

Thank you in advance.

Sean

#2 ·
If your French is comprehensible, try posting your question at http://www.sail-the-world.com/forumSTW/start_forum.cfm
You may have to sign up, but the denizens there seem to be quite up on TVA, import duties, registration requirements and general advice, especially for the Med. The TVA does jack up prices for boats and boating items in Europe. The last I heard there were requirements for paying taxes or duties or fees of a substantial sort if you stayed beyond a certain period, even if your boat is documented with the USCG and flies a US flag. We were only in France a few weeks on our trip, and the laws have all changed since then, besides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.