SailNet Community - View Single Post - bad charter with Abaco Bahamas Charters
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003

sherbet is on a distinguished road
bad charter with Abaco Bahamas Charters

I''d like to share an unfortunate experience I had with a charter in January in the Bahamas. I''d like to hear people''s opinions on what happened and perhaps get some advice on what we can do.

We chartered a Morgan 35 from Abaco Bahamas Charters in the Bahamas. The boat was old, but the price was reasonable so we felt it was a good deal. We gave the boat a cursory check on boarding, but as we all know, it''s impossible to check everything on the boat, so we rely on the charter company to have everything well-maintained.

There was a charcoal BBQ on the pulpit that looked old and rusted so we had no plans to use it. However, the BBQ turned out to be so old and rusted that it actually fell off the back of the boat as we were sailing on the second day.

I assumed ABC would understand the loss of a BBQ, since we hadn''t even touched it, however to our surprise they charged us US$100 for a shiny new BBQ. They weren''t even willing to listen to our protests that the BBQ must have been held on with a rusty bolt at best.

It seems to me this is a great way to keep your charter boats well equipped - just make sure that the old stuff falls off and get the charterers to pay for it!

I emailed Abaco Bahamas Charters after we received our damage deposit less $100, but they didn''t even reply.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook