SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recently crossed the Pacific
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Smile Recently crossed the Pacific

May 26th at 0600 we left Honolulu for the 7th annual VEGA 27 Rendezvous at Fisherman's Bay, WA that was held June 29th/30th.

We didn't make it. Our crossing took 55 days. 1300 Miles West of Cape Flattery, after weathering the third of a series of small gales, we noticed that the headstay on our Vega, Lealea, was coming unraveled. About eight or nine feet above the deck, an eighteen inch strand of wire was sticking out at right angles to the stay. After that I wouldn't put up a headsail and our progress slowed to 30 to 40 miles per day.

We arrived in due course at Tatoosh island and were led through the fog by one of the local fishing boats, "Norn" Captain Roland Gagnon, to a slip in the commercial fishing harbor at Neah Bay. After a few good nights sleep, hot showers and dry clothes we limped up to Port Angeles for a cold beer (Neah Bay is on a dry indian reservaton ), then to Port Townsend where I took the mast down and examined the wire. I discovered the strands broken at six points on the headstay and five points in the backstay. The riggers at PT Rigging and Brion Toss told us that the wire we had rigged the boat with in Honolulu was defective.

With help from PT Rigging and the PT Shipwrights Co-op, I re-rigged and rebuilt the interior of the boat over five months. Then we crossed the strait to Friday Harbor.

There is a lot more in our cruising pages on the American Vega Assn. website but I am not allowed to post a link until I make three more posts to the forum
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook