SailNet Community - View Single Post - Information Please!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008

jflynn129 is on a distinguished road
Information Please!

I am 49 and have been sailing for several years (since 1981) but I donít have any certificates or documented experience. I have a boat myself (30í C&C) which I sail in Puget Sound with the family mostly on day and weekend trips. Thus far, all my experience has been limited to calm water (the wife doesnít like conditions too blustery) day sails or weekends. I would like to get some experience blue water sailing along the Pacific coast anywhere between Alaska and California, possibly Hawaii.

Some information I was hoping for feedback on:
1. Are there crew opportunities in these areas? The reason I ask is because I see a lot of people offering themselves as crew, a few postings for crew-needed, and no idea what the reality is.
2. What is the average length of a Blue water crossing? What I am really thinking about is how long it takes to go from Hawaii to the West Cost as a yard stick as a longest case.
3. Having a regular job, how are opportunities typically arranged; are they typically planned in advance or typically last minute opportunities
4. Any other suggestions, insight, or education anyone is willing to share

Thanks for the education!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook