SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying first boat - what''s it worth
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003

Ace028 is on a distinguished road
Buying first boat - what''''s it worth

Hi, all...
I''m new to sailing, and I am looking for a good beginner''s boat that''s usable for daysailing and short overnighters on Lake Michigan. I found for sale a 1975 Luger Southwind 21 with the following equipment/conditions - New mainsail, older jib and genoa, single-axle trailer with extendable tongue, compass, radio,older but working 15hp long-shaft evinrude. Boat is solid as far as I can tell, with no immediate indications of blistering or bad repairs. It is a little neglected, with the teak trim topside weathered to gray and a very sorry looking, delaminated rudder. Also, the interior is entirely gutted right down to the fiberglass, with no carpet, cushions, or porta-potty. I couldn''t tell if the wiring was still in place. Anyway, they are asking $2,000 or best, and the boat has been sitting in their yard for sale for more than 9 months. Not sailed since 1999. Is that a fair price? Is the make/model of reasonable quality? Is it a decent boat for a new sailor? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook