SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any information on a CS 40?

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a CS 40 (Canadian Sailcraft). The boat looks good, but I have been unable to find any technical information on the boat. Does anyone have a copy of a sales brochure, an owners manual or a magazine review article for the CS 40? What reputation does the boat have? What are weak and strong points? Is the hull cored? With what?

#2 ·
Try the CS Owners association at
http://closereach.com/csoa/

There are not a lot of CS 40's out there, but the owners association is very active. You will be able to sign up for the list serve even if not an owner. The members are usually very helpful and a good source of information.

#3 · (Edited)
Ah ha!

I knew I couldn't be the only CS34 owner here! Nice to see you Padean. Sibley, everything you need to know will be available on that site. What I have read in passing about the 40 is that it had two build runs, one in the late 80's early 90's and several were built later near 00'. Not quite as sturdy as the 36T but a good build nonetheless. I missed the chance to go see one for sale here in my area. They look great in photos. I don't know of any CS owners, other than Hoffalives, that don't love their CS.
Good luck.

IIRC the topsides and deck horizontals are balsa cored, hull is solid.

#4 ·
IIRC, Sailingfool has a CS36. CS has a fairly good reputation as older boats go.

#5 ·
I believe the CS40 is similar in construction to the CS36 Merlin with some coring in the hull. I don't know if the coring us used below the water line. The ONLY CS boat I've seen in person was a 36 Merlin that had seen its better days. I wish there were more around locally, because I think it would be an impressive boat if you found a well kept example.

#6 ·
I considered a CS 40 but my broker aimed me away

The 40 is very like the 36 Merlin rather than the earlier 36T. My broker who is very knowledgeable and did not have a boat he was aiming me toward suggested that these boats are not that well built. In particular he mentioned that the keel has a very narrow attachment to the hull and that he considered this to be a serious problem area, and one that would not be easily fixed.

#8 ·
other than Sailingfool, Halekay also has a CS as well as Sailormann.

I sailed one last year, with almost no wind and the boat was very pleasing to sail.

I really liked the experience and feel of it.

Of course a ride in a rainy day was not a full sailtest, but I was very positively impressed by the boat. Its not a new design or a light one, buy its still a good looking modern line, with a nice feel to it.

If I lived in the US that is a boatI woul consider for coastal local sailing.

Sailingfool is selling his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.