SailNet Community - View Single Post - The most important piece of equipment
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
All good comments, particularly the one from sailingdog about water discipline. My only comment on that is to mention that, by the time we had tapped our main tank we were only 200 miles from Vancouver Island. That still left us with thirty days water supply on short rations (1/2 gallon per day per person) I realize that I may have given the impression that we were lavish with our water use but that was not the case. We were always conscious of the need to have adequate water to complete the voyage in the unlikely event that the watermaker should fail in such a manner that we could not repair it with the spares we had on board.

I know there are many who disagree with me on the necessity of long range communication equipment and the ability to call home regularly. We Have also been advised to get a bigger boat before attempting a major crossing. I have even known a few would be cruisers, and I am not making this up, who will never leave the dock unless they can talk with Mom twice a day. I lived aboard my boat in Hawaii for nearly twenty years and many times heard would be cruisers say "I would never go out there without..." X or Y, or on a boat less than X feet long. Typically, those people never go at all. On the other hand, I spoke with a lot of real cruisers; people who stopped in Honolulu on their way South or North, to rest or work temporarily. Those people usually said, when asked the same questions, "If your boat is well found and seaworthy just go. No piece of gear will make you any safer." As for boat size: The Titanic sank on her maiden voyage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Are you the young Canadian couple that was overdue?

I never heard the final say on them.
We are neither young nor Canadian but there were broadcasts concerning us by both the US and Canadian Coast Guards in July of 2007. Once we had landed it seemed that everyone had heard about us.

Malie ke kai
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook