SailNet Community - View Single Post - The most important piece of equipment
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
That was a nice writeup and I enjoyed reading it. Just curiously, how did you prep the boat for food? How much did you plan on catching? Any weather issues or mechanical issues to share or to make others aware of? Half way through the trip, was there anything you wished you had brought (or not brought... and don't mention the wife (smile)).

I always find the first hand stories very interesting and great learning tools - whether about your first time on a boat or third circumnavigation. I belive your account of your trip from HI would have interest for many readers here, including me.

Thanks for sharing.

- CD

PS Though for possibly another thread (or this one) I am not opposed to many of the "modern neccessities"... for lack of a better word. I think many of todays tools have made the sea a safer place and probably made it more 'do-able' for many that otherwise might not have chosen to. However, my big 'beef' with today's technological gadgets is the obvious dependence people have put on them over just plain, good seamanship. Electronics being a good example, they should enhance your seamanship... not replace it. That is a recipe for disaster.

Just my feelings.
We provisioned, or more accurately, My wife provisioned, for 90 days with fresh, canned, dried and freeze dried (Backpacking type) foods. We did not plan on catching anything and for various reasons did not try during this trip although we have caught lots of fish on previous crossings (We sailed in HMB Endeavour from Vancouver to Kailua-Kona in '99 and Laura sailed as delivery crew in Spike Africa from San Diego to Nawiliwili in 2004) and on short trips around the islands. Laura also stocked up with our favorite treats
but, alas, we ran out of chocolate three weeks before reaching Neah Bay

The trip took a month longer than it should have because our standing rigging started to unravel 1300 miles from Cape Flattery after we weathered a series of small gales at about lat. 38, long 158 IIRC. Being unwilling to risk setting a headsail slowed us down to 30 to 40 miles a day. When we finally reached Port Townsend and had Dan from PT Rigging look at it he pronounced it defective wire and,when I asked him about it, he told us there was no way, short of examining it inch by inch under a microscope, we could have known. I also had the wire examined by Brion Toss riggers who said the same thing. Yes, I did check the wire before we left Honolulu by running a handfull of gauze along the shrouds and stays and examining the fittings for obvious signs of corrosion. The rigging was nine years old.

There were oter minor gear failures but nothing serious and although we were sometimes uncomfortable because of long periods of wet, cold weather we never felt we were in any danger.

The only thing we wished we had brought more of (Besides chocolate) halfway through the trip was warm clothing. We had no idea it would be so cold in July in the latitudes above 40N.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves immensely and are looking forward to continuing our cruise.

There is a lot more detail and information on the American Vega Association web site and in our cruising pages

There is also an account of Laura's trip in Spike Africa. You can see how good the fishing was on that trip!

Malie ke kai

Last edited by vega1860; 02-06-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: add closing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook