SailNet Community - View Single Post - The most important piece of equipment
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Did someone mention Uriah Heep, er, sailaway?

Without too much kerfuffle, let it be said that I agree with the varmint on this one. Valiente and I had a conversation on the matter over in the thread about Giu's kid from hell or whatever he called it.

In short, bad news travels plenty fast enough. I'm a believer in telling family that I'll see them when I see them. It's cruel and inhumane in my book to set them up for worry about events they can have no impact upon. My dear departed mother never knew about that C-4 i was on running the North Atlantic that was always in the process of sinking. She didn't know about the time we almost got blown up off Little Creek, Virginia. And she sure didn't know about all that time hove-to in typhoons, full gales, and the odd hurricane. And she died not knowing. Why should she have? So I'd know that she worried about me? People, especially family, think they want to know all that stuff. Don't tell them. It's far better that they might think, you might be over due, than to have it be a matter of actual fact. This is called being selfless. And it what you do when you put to sea in a small boat to cross an ocean for no plausible reason other than you want to.

My thoughts on modern communications and their pitfalls can be found here:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showth...t=40162&page=5

Last edited by sailaway21; 02-06-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook