SailNet Community - View Single Post - The most important piece of equipment
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
This is called being selfless. And it what you do when you put to sea in a small boat to cross an ocean for no plausible reason other than you want to.
Well said, G. If you get killed following your dream, your survivors feel bad once, but have the consolation of knowing you went into it with eyes wide open and singing a sailor song. If they look at some distant satellite map, or think Tahiti's near Fiji, where a typhoon is sinking Beneteaus, they will worry and fret over things not only that they can't effect, but over things they can have a potentially detrimental outcome. Imagine calling out SAR because you were 10 days late...but you were only late, not dead, not in a raft, not lying comatose on the cabin sole because you ate three pounds of the wrong reef fish. The SAR or other resources diverted to save you (not necessarily in need of saving, just dooting along at 2 knots under a full hoist) could be saving someone truly in peril.

My sense of things is that emergency services are doled out on a first come/first served basis. If you just say "I expect to be here in July, and I'll contact you if I can, but I may not" and file a sail plan with the roughest of parameters, there won't be enough information to set certain official wheels in motion.

I recall Moiteissier coming alongside passing frieghters and using a slingshot to launch film canisters onto their decks. That's how people learned how *his* circ was going.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook