SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalinia retrofit article?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueranger View Post
Hi,

Hoping somewhere can help me out. There was a guy who retrofitted a Catalina to the point where it was strong enough for a circumnavigation. I was told he wrote up all the modifications he needed to make and I was wondering if anyone knows if that information is on the "net." Google and various sailing forums didn't turn anything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Here are the instructions:

1) Clean & detail your boat
2) Find a good yacht broker
3) List your boat
4) Close the deal and sell current boat
5) Buy a proper blue water capable boat
6) Make your journey

Sorry to be so blunt but with the cost of materials and supplies these days converting a Catalina to be blue water capable will likely cost more than finding a boat that is already designed for this purpose.

P.S. Read the two articles in Soundings Magazine this month about small boats venturing into the ocean then let them sink in. Pay especially close attention to the part about the broken rudder on the Catalina 25 and the swamped outboard motor that put the other boat onto a jetty thus destroying it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-07-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook