SailNet Community - View Single Post - vang and preventer
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend a Dutchman boom brake rather than a preventer. I believe a boom brake makes for a safer installation overall.

The Dutchman boom brakes are sized according to the area of the sail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPentz View Post
This is my first go at blogging on this website. I am an older dog and have taken up full-time cruising of late. Although I have been sailing most of my life, there is so much to learn about cruising. Judging by the quality of input on Sailnet, there are obviously some very experienced and skilled sailors out there, so I am my questions will be simple fodder.
I have purchased a Bavaria 44 at she is currently in Croatia, waiting my return from Australia at end April when I wil sail her down to Greece and spend the European summer there. I need a boom preventer and wondered if you could advise what gear I should aquire - specs of the block and tackle etc. The more you can tell me the better!! Never set one up before.

I wouold also appreciate some advice on ground tackle, but think maybe I should set up a new thread for this?

Many thanks

Peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook