SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Roller Furler (a.k.a. "To Furl, or Not To Furl...")
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008

supergrade is on a distinguished road
Old Roller Furler (a.k.a. "To Furl, or Not To Furl...")

This is a real question, and yes I did check the archives before I posted this.....

OK, so, after being boatless and miserable for 7 years....we finally have a boat again. she's a 1977 Bristol 29.9, as mentioned elsewhere, and she's in great shape, except for a few things. One of those few things is the running rigging, which is no problem, because there is nothing I enjoy more than rerigging a boat just the way I like. so, here's the thing: our boat has an old, decrepit Seafurl roller furler. I've never have a headsail furler before, and to be honest, I don't understand them. It seems to me that the ability to carry an INVENTORY of headsails to suit the weather is infinitely better than carrying one permanent headsail.
I've never seen a roller jib that had a good shape when rolled partway up, and the "it's good for shorthanded sailors" argument seems weak to me, I've sailed alone plenty of times without a roller furler and had no trouble (I like to rig a downhaul led to the mast or the cockpit to bring the headsail down quickly).
Does anyone have thoughts? Does anyone feel the same? Seems like everyone has a roller furler, and I just don't get it. Any advice/comments welcome. If I have violated a rule or resurrected an old, dead thread, I'm sorry in advance.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook