SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Roller Furler (a.k.a. "To Furl, or Not To Furl...")
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-07-2008 Thread Starter
supergrade

Old Roller Furler (a.k.a. "To Furl, or Not To Furl...")

This is a real question, and yes I did check the archives before I posted this.....

OK, so, after being boatless and miserable for 7 years....we finally have a boat again. she's a 1977 Bristol 29.9, as mentioned elsewhere, and she's in great shape, except for a few things. One of those few things is the running rigging, which is no problem, because there is nothing I enjoy more than rerigging a boat just the way I like. so, here's the thing: our boat has an old, decrepit Seafurl roller furler. I've never have a headsail furler before, and to be honest, I don't understand them. It seems to me that the ability to carry an INVENTORY of headsails to suit the weather is infinitely better than carrying one permanent headsail.
I've never seen a roller jib that had a good shape when rolled partway up, and the "it's good for shorthanded sailors" argument seems weak to me, I've sailed alone plenty of times without a roller furler and had no trouble (I like to rig a downhaul led to the mast or the cockpit to bring the headsail down quickly).
Does anyone have thoughts? Does anyone feel the same? Seems like everyone has a roller furler, and I just don't get it. Any advice/comments welcome. If I have violated a rule or resurrected an old, dead thread, I'm sorry in advance.

1977 Bristol 29.9

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome