SailNet Community - View Single Post - Casco to Freeport ME..Seeking Mooring
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
In a big storm like that, about nowhere is safe. Well, maybe South Freeport. I won't live long enough to get through that waiting list or be able to afford it if I did. So... Willards beach is mostly sheltered by Cushing Island to the northeast, and a bigger one who's name I don't recall. The rollers from the ocean don't really get there much. Usually there are just enough waves to keep you from getting a good nights sleep. Power boats always whip by there constantly all day. I have been there when it was quite calm, but that's the exception to the rule. You should listen to the mooring guys and step up as much as three steps, for you that would be a 500# mushroom. Properly set, with well thought out pennants, anti-chafe sleaves and sturdy shock absorbers, your boat would probably come apart before you dragged. Willards beach is cheap and the wait isn't too long. Besides, you could enjoy the extraordinary status of being a member of the exaulted Willard Beach Allstars Yacht Club. (That would be the four Sailnet'rs that are moored there. )