SailNet Community - View Single Post - Casco to Freeport ME..Seeking Mooring
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKarens34 View Post
In a big storm like that, about nowhere is safe. Well, maybe South Freeport. I won't live long enough to get through that waiting list or be able to afford it if I did. So... Willards beach is mostly sheltered by Cushing Island to the northeast, and a bigger one who's name I don't recall. The rollers from the ocean don't really get there much. Usually there are just enough waves to keep you from getting a good nights sleep. Power boats always whip by there constantly all day. I have been there when it was quite calm, but that's the exception to the rule. You should listen to the mooring guys and step up as much as three steps, for you that would be a 500# mushroom. Properly set, with well thought out pennants, anti-chafe sleaves and sturdy shock absorbers, your boat would probably come apart before you dragged. Willards beach is cheap and the wait isn't too long. Besides, you could enjoy the extraordinary status of being a member of the exaulted Willard Beach Allstars Yacht Club. (That would be the four Sailnet'rs that are moored there. )
I rode out that storm in Broad Cove where I live & keep my "storm mooring". I would have been fine in Falmouth too but I worry about other boats much more than mine.

Bellow is a Photo of my bottom chain. It weighs about 10lbs. per link and I have over 25 feet of it. 99% of the time I never even budge the bottom chain but when I do get into a blow the weight of it gives me a great caternary and my boat NEVER jerks at her bit!!

Properly sized top chain (5/8 or 3/4), bottom chain (USCG surplus or equivalent) a good and properly sized mooring (NOT CEMENT!), and two bullet proof pendants, of unequal length, such as Yale Polydyne (with stainless thimble) with AMPLE chafe protection and a very large eye/eye swivel (minimum 7/8" or 1") and you'll be fine most places with a 30 foot boat.

The biggest worry are the other schmucks who could care less about properly mooring their vessel! My last boat suffered five figure damage because a guy "cut a corner" and used cheap, imported "cast" not "forged" shackles as he should have. His top and bottom chain parted at the shackle and he hit my boat and seven others causing over 100k in total damages. All this because he though he could save $4.00 on the price of a shackle... $4.00 vs. $100,000.00........????

Again, mooring location and mooring tackle are no area to cut corners and we do get a fair number of storms in this area over 40+ knots each season..

Size of one bottom chain link:

Top and bottom chain:

P.S. This is one of the moorings (Falmouth not Broad cove) I used on my Catalina 310 and currently use on my CS-36..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook