SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
While it's a subject that has been much debated previously methinks it's a topic that always attracts some interest.

I had a friend who cruised quite extensively in a 26'er and at the time he was positively obsessed with the idea that the perfect cruising boat was sub 30'. I crewed on that boat offshore for a short while and what became very apparent is that out at sea you really do need less than if you are e.g. marina hopping.

Nonethless I did find his boat and our PB which was 28' to be a bit tight on for space. I'd also note that my friend is now out there on a 60' ketch and the last I heard of him he was madly trying to find crew. I think he went from slightly less than sublime to the ridiculous. On the other LOA is not necessarily the best gauge of a boats size.

My point of reference is "can the two of us handle this" and in an emergency "can one of us do it" ? That of course ignores the financial situation and whether or not you can keep the systems going without too much outside assistance.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook