SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It has a lot more to do with mindset and expectations than anything else IMHO. There are people who are in cruising for the travel, the voyages between destinations and such... and then there are people who see a sailboat as an alternative to air travel and feel that there is no reason to do without all the conveniences of home: hot and cold running water, push to flush toilets, microwave ovens, HD large screen TVs, etc.

Personally, I choose to use my boat as a refuge from a lot of the materialism and conspicuous consumption of the rat race... and don't see a need to have a 40'+ beastie... especially when my boat can run most of those 40' beasties down without me even trying.

I have Sensible Cruising, and like the approach and mindset it has about cruising.... far better than what is the focus of most of the modern sailing press, where you have to have a $300,000 boat to safely cross oceans... BS... small boats have been crossing oceans for a long, long time. The main reason that the mainstream sailing press panders to the larger boats is that is where the advertising money is. It takes almost as much time to make a good <30' sailboat as it does to make a >35' sailboat, and the prices you can reasonably get people to pay for them are so much smaller, as are the profit margins. Some one might pay $100,000 for a 28-30' boat, brand new... but a 40' would be $250,000-300,000 of the same build quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook