SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Halekai...great post. I absolutely agree with your statements at the end about "heroes" and finding your own way to cruise. Looking at your list, I find myself agreeing with 90% and disagreeing with 10% while I probably disagree with 50% of the Pardee's stuff or more! Just goes to show that you can be happy cruising in a lot of different ways. Listen to everyone and make up your own mind!
Same applies to navigation and passagemaking...listen to those who have done it and been there...but YOU are the captain of your own vessel and need to make the choices that are right for your boat, your skills and your crew.

Having said that...here are the items on your list that I have quibbles with.

off shore a sextant.
Multiple GPS's (4) with massive AA battery backups stored in Pelican cases and in the microwave (Faraday Cage) on passage are my choice. They work all the time, in any weather and with great accuracy. Sextants are fun...but they are buggy whips! (We've had this thread folks but feel free to start a new one!)

I like solar panels and simple battery systems with a battery monitor such as a link 10. I do not like gen sets of any kind including the small Honda's.
I like solar...but would not be without wind if going passive as I've found I can get twice the output on average daily than from a pair of 80 watt ea. panels. As to generators...never had or felt I needed one till my present boat...clearly a luxury...but BOY are they nice to have!! Feel the Honda generators are a good choice for someone with charging needs for a short term cruise or weekend type needs to charge batteries and power stuff.

I like roller furling and prefer a main sail with a minimum of three reef points.
Ditto...but Boom Furling main if you can afford it is even better than 3 reef points!

I don't like electric windlasses. I've fixed far to many thus I now use a manual windlass when and if I ever need it.
I got one to make it easy and quick to raise the main from the cockpit. Can do it by hand if necessary. NO problems experienced (Andersen winch) and a nice if pricey convenience.

I prefer a dry bilge.
I prefer one too...but the last 2 boats I've owned by design cannot have a totally dry bilge...can't get to it. No big deal.

I don't like 5200 or Silicone and use them very, very carefully.
I don't see much need for 5200 either ...but I do use silicone a lot and like it for certain things.

I don't like exterior teak and I'm far to anal to let it go gray..
I like some teak ad how it makes a boat look and Cetol makes it pretty easy to keep up with it and keep it looking good. If I was anal enough to insist on Varnish....I would have no teak on deck!

I have davits and like them but NOT in rough weather! They are not however a necessity for me just a luxury.
I just don't like davits....an accident waiting to happen. Have had them on two boats and prefer to tow or store dink on deck.

I like ST winches and rope clutches but would not go out of my way to convert.
I WOULD go out of my way to convert!

I like Gore Stuffing Box Packing & PSS shaft seals.
I don't trust the PSS in distant anchorages. Give me something easily fixed every time.

I like a forward facing nav station.
I never use my nav station except for storage. Everything is at the helm except the SSB.

I like cockpit cushions but they are not a necessity
They ARE a necessity!!

I like dodgers (won't sail without one) & bimini's (don't want cancer) but they come off in really bad, green water, weather.
I like full cockpit enclosures. Great in cold and bad weather but subject to the same concerns as a bimini in REALLY bad weather.

Been using Folgers...
I thought you said you liked COFFEE??

I HATE showering in the head (mold) and instead have a cockpit mounted wand..
I can't shower in the cockpit...I can't stand the ogling and suggestive remarks from all the females in the anchorage!!