SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing characteristics of a PSC 31/32
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Leaking aft water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Mortimer, all good points. You and I are on the same sailing path, having both owned a Dana and now a 31.

I largely concur with your sailing observations above. Except that, overall, I have found the larger size of the 31 to be easier to manage, maybe because the wheel tidies up the cockpit and can be locked off. We usually sail with a 120% genoa and sometimes a staysail.

Our 31 is one year newer, with the plastic tank lids instead of the plywood lids. I've never had to rebed ours, and they don't leak. A lot of owners with plywood lids have upgraded to the plastic ones with good results. Search the e-mail forum for "how-to" discussions. But you're right, I miss the Dana's metal tanks.

Our fridge compressor is in the aft-most compartment under the starboard settee (immediately adjacent to the ice-box), so it doesn't use up precious hanging locker space. We don't have Air Conditioning, but I'd probably install it in the wet locker aft of the head if we ever wanted it.

Agreed. The cockpit design, though somewhat unusual, is very clever and comfortable both underway and at anchor.

I am VERY interested to hear that others have the problem of the water tank under the stern quarterberth leaking on the PSC31. I just spent 2 hours prying up the plywood cover because mine was leaking. I am debating whether to just silicone it back down and wait for it to leak again, or try to improve on it--with a plexiglass cover or some other sealant. Any suggestions? Also, where can I get a 6 or 8 inch inspection/cleaning port to insert into the cover? Lastly, I tried to post on the PSC owners forum but it said my login was invalid. Do I have to register separately for that?
-Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook