SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing characteristics of a PSC 31/32
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi3 View Post
I am VERY interested to hear that others have the problem of the water tank under the stern quarterberth leaking on the PSC31. I just spent 2 hours prying up the plywood cover because mine was leaking. I am debating whether to just silicone it back down and wait for it to leak again, or try to improve on it--with a plexiglass cover or some other sealant. Any suggestions? Also, where can I get a 6 or 8 inch inspection/cleaning port to insert into the cover? Lastly, I tried to post on the PSC owners forum but it said my login was invalid. Do I have to register separately for that?
-Paul
Hi Paul,

Just to clarify, the tanks on our boat have never had a leaking problem. This issue seems to be confined to boats built in the 80's which had gelcoated plywood tank lids. My suggestion would be to replace those with the plastic lids used on later boats and be done with the problem.

If you search over on the e-mail list serve, you should find some helpful threads discussing that remedy. Yes, you have to sign up separately.

If you are coming from a thoroughbred racing boat with a high aspect keel and bulb, you should expect less pointing ability from a typical blue-water boat. But as for the pointing ability of your boat, I'm somewhat puzzled. We have the fin keel version and I've been very pleased at our pointing ability -- in fact upwind legs are where we usually look to open the distance between boats we sail with. Which keel do you have and what sail combinations? I also wonder if your rig may not be properly tuned/raked. Was the mast taken down and re-stepped recently?

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-24-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook