SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sole preparation
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003

BertV is on a distinguished road
Sole preparation

No one else seems to want to tackle this one, so here''s my take on it. I assume that the wood has discolored with time and fuel/oil spills that have soaked into the wood? To make it look like new would need replacing. You can experiment with a chemical bleach to lighten up the stain but the it will also lighten up the surrounding wood that hasn''t been stained. If it''s a true teak and holly sole (not a thin veneer) you may try sanding it down till you get past the stain. However, fuel/oil stains usually go down a long way and you run out of wood before you get it out. Is there a way of cutting out the stained portion and putting in a fake "hatch" with the proper trim? It would probably look better than trying to salvage the stained portions. As for a finish, I''ve had very good luck with International two part polyurathane (spl?)clear. It''s difficult to apply but boy does it shine with great non-skid features. And it''s as hard as a rock with great scratch resistance (one dog, two cats, kids and a sandy beach, etc). I put an oak floor in my Islander and it has survived 10 years (with one recoat).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook