SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
No. HM Bark Endeavour. The replica of the ship Capt. James Cook sailed around the world on his first voyage of discovery in 1768. Awesome ship. The best of its kind by far.

Plumper,
There are two Endeavours. The one you are talking about 'the Young Endeavour' was a gift to Oz from Britain at the time of our bicentenary in 1988. She nows calls Newcastle home. We were moored across the way from her when we sailed into Newcastle year before last. Good looking thing but not a replica.

NE is the black hull off to the right of the pic not the white dreamboat which was in Newcastle (Australia not UK of course) for some repairs and maintenance.

The Endeavour herself is probably one of only two positive things you can say about disgraced businessman and all round shite head Allan Bond, he of Australia II fame which was of course the second. She is indeed a fine thing.
Sydney used to have a number of square riggers, James Craig, Endeavour, Bounty being the most famous. Bounty has recently been sold to some Chinese investors who have moved her to Hong Kong. Endeavour is now owned by the National Maritime Museum and is berthed in Darling Harbour near the Craig. (or at least she was last time I looked).

Its actually somewhat ironic that Endeavour is based in Sydney as Cook sailed straight past the place with nary a sideways glance.

Vega,
What was it the English used to say about you septics during WWII ? Overpaid , over sexed and over here ? Something like that. Actually I think it's fair to say that despite the opposition to the war itself, American servicemen have always received a warm welcome here. Even an old peacenik like me is likely to be out to welcome in visiting US ships and I don't mean with protest banners flying.

ps - I could be absolutely anal about it and remind you that when he commanded Endeavour Cook was but a lieutenant. But I won't.

Thanks again for this thread.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-10-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook