SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Late September I was sailing out of Charlottetown Harbour at about 2230 to arrive at Ballantynes Cove about 1000. There was a forcast for a shower around 0400 just in St Georges Bay at the entrance to Strait of Canso. With lighter wind then had been forcasted over night I arrived just of Cape George Pt. (45.57N-61.53W) at 1430 in a growing storm, winds off the bow of 50knots and gusting, with sea heights of about 25ft, with a larger one every 200 to 300 feet of about 40 feet plus. While sailing in this weather with just the main in its third reef, I was able to develop an approach which was manageable. After watching out for the large waves when they came, never expected to see back to back 40 plus waves. It was the second one which pushed me over and sinking the mast about two feet under water. The whole think happen so fast, that it was the mess in the boat that spoke of the act. It was at that moment that a new trust for my boat and a new bond that had developed. It took another hour to round the point and enter the harbour before I could clean up, which didn't take place until the next morning, because once my lines were tied I crashed completely worn out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook