SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
WWII was a bit before my time Plumper but the discription would apply, I think, to all men of soldiering age. I don't know about the overpaid part. It's all relative I suppose. We all greatly appreciated the hospitality BTW.

Yes, Cook was a mere Lieutenant when he commanded Endeavour but, of course was called "Captain" in accordance with tradition. Were you aware that he was not even commissioned, just a warrant officer when he was selected to command the first voyage? He was commissioned because the admiralty needed the man in charge to be an officer. He was later "Made Post" and was a Post Captain when he attended the famous barbeque held by the Hawaiians in his honor at Kealakekua-Kona. The famous Captain Bligh was also a Lieutenant at the nime of the mutiny on the Bounty.

You may also have noticed that Bark Endeavour is not a bark at all. Rather she is ship rigged having square sails on all three masts. Why then is she not called HMS Endeavour? Because a mere Lieutenant could not command a "Ship". Those of us with too much time on their hands may also note that Bounty, also ship rigged, was not HMS Bounty but rather HMAV Bounty. For the same reason.

Malie ke kai
I certainly didn't mean to imply your were quite that ancient yon mariner.

The Lieut v Captain thing is one of those very irritating issues that pedants seem to love to have a gnaw at. Of absolutely no consequence to most of us. Then again we cold start a gazillion page thread to debate the meaning of ship v boat.

As for the Bark, you have me there. I certainly hadn't realised that but then i'm in no way even vaguely expert on square riggers.

btw, on the subject of simplicity, we were watching a 50ish foot wishbone ketch out on the harbour yesterday. She had four sails , three wishbone plus the mizzen, which was larger than your usually see on a ketch, so all sails self tacking. I suppose, never having experienced this, that the negative would be raising and lowering the sails with those wishbones attached. It did keep all the sails to quite handy sizes given the LOA of the boat itself.

Ignoring those who can afford to pay for the work done on their boats the other major negative of big boats for most of us is the amount of work involved in simply keeping the things clean. Even a 40'er is a major task to scrub down and antifoul. To maintain a 50'er would be a serious trial methinks. Our 28'er we could haul, scrub, paint and have back in the water within 24 hours easily. The 34'er it can be done but certainly not so easy.

That ketch from yesterday was a real beauty, evoking images of Adverntures in Paradise but oh my. Upkeep on a 50' timber ketch ? No thanks.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook