SailNet Community - View Single Post - If you had 11 years to plan...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008

FloatingFamily is on a distinguished road
If you had 11 years to plan...

We are planning to go cruising full-time - until our bodies give out - in 11 years. Coming with us will be our then-13-year-old daughter and then-11-year-old-son. We will be 46 and 47 when we cast off. Retirement vehicles that are not accessible until we're 59 1/2 are fully funded. Financially, we're now focusing on gathering funds for early retirement. Equity in our home will probably provide a big chunk of those funds. We hope to be able to afford a nice sailboat (40-50'?) with separate berths for each child. (Can't expect a teenage daughter to share a bunk for five years with her little brother!) It'd be nice if we could handle the boat ourselves after our little crew moves off for college. (They will move off, right?!) Initially, we expect to cruise mostly along the U.S. shores, Caribbean and Mediterranean. We have sailed for years, but live inland where it's all reservoirs and lakes. We love where we live and intend to live here until we push off. We own a small daysailer and intend to teach the children young how to handle it. I'll be homeschooling the kids from the get go, so they'll be used to it when we go afloat. Before we go afloat, we intend to take several week-long or multi-week charters to get a taste of the cruising life. I've also historically had some troubles with seasickness, so I'm anxious to see if I can overcome them!

So, them's our plans as they stand now. Of course, with 11 years to go, they'll probably change. I'd appreciate any and all advice on how to make good use of the decade of prep time we get to have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook