SailNet Community - View Single Post - If you had 11 years to plan...
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You're gonna pull kids out of school for their high school years so you can go sailing? Suggest you go soon...or wait for them to finish high school. Why mess with their future and development?
I am not saying that there aren't plenty of good reasons to go cruising with kids and plenty of bad things that can happen at home...but once kids hit their teens...they become people too. They have a right to their own dreams...to the best education possible...to play on sports teams...to make lasting friends...to play in a rock band...whatever etc.
Suppose your son loves to play soccer...suppose your daughter wants to become a scientist. Your choice will supercede their choice. I always thought that the parents job was to help their kids become the best they can be and fulfill their dreams by providing discipline and opportunity.

My suggestion is to defer the dream for a few years. Then if the kids want to hop on before attending college for a bit...great. But let it be their choice.