SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finished
Thread: Finished
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008

drynoc is on a distinguished road
I must have an English problem

(I don't mean to be snotty with that title - tried to change it and can't.) There is still a lot of work to do, but only to systems that are already on the boat and don't need to be improved - just maintained. The VHF must have come with the boat, for example, but it works and there is no need for a better one. All of the winches (ten of them) are original as well, but they all work well and don't need to be upgraded. The rope clutches look a little tired, but again they work as designed. I'll need new sails eventually, but that will be a replacement. Rigging will have to be seen to before too much longer, but again that is replacement, not upgrading something that works.

The difference is that a lot of people look at old style winches, for example, and think that the boat "needs" new self tailing models. Not true. The owner might want those new self tailing models, but the boat does not need them. Same with a chartplotter (I'm on a river with maybe an occasional foray to the Chesapeake Bay), auto helm, and much else. (My auto tiller is a piece of line tied off on both sides of the cockpit. I wrap it around the tiller several times, and then give it minor twists now and then as required. Motored for twenty five hours that way once. It's a little less accurate sailing, but still allows me to lean back and enjoy the sail, or adjust the sails as need be.)

Someone mentioned I might be in the market for a larger boat soon. Not true. I actually gave some thought to down sizing last summer, and decided that I must be an idiot to even consider it - after all of the work I have done on this one. I singlehand nearly all the time, and this boat is the largest I would want for that purpose.

Someone else mentioned racing. Only on the river locally. I don't have the time or the desire to race off shore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook