SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Wombat,

While it is true that a hendheld GPS will use up batteries, Why would you leave it on at sea? Once the position is checked, it takes about three minutes, turn it off. We checked our position no more than three times a day crossing the pacific and only had the gps on for more than a few minutes at a time while approaching Cape Flattery. Our primary unit is a Garmin GPS 76. We changed the batteries twice in 55 days and put in fresh as we entered the Strait of juan de Fuca because of the fog. As my flight instructor admonished me: "Don't stare at the instruments, look where you're going!"

Malie ke kai
Answer to your question is that our log is shot and I use the handheld instead. Need to replace the log but it's a match for the depth sounder and I'm kind of waiting for the depth sounder to die as well so that I have an excuse to replace them both. They are old Navico, long discontinued and no longer supported since the takeover (by Simrad I think it was).

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook