SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Charlie

I've written of them before...

First one pretty uneventful between Mukilteo and Hat Island back in 76 in our Mac 21. Popped back up in about 30 sec with full main of water with me standing in the sail.

Second was last summer in a friends (Bayliner 20) I think??? ... was believe it or not on Lake Pearrygin...One of thoes Eastern Washington 10 second 50knt wind gusts had half the tents in the campground riped from there stakes and tumble weeding and us laid down flat...the problem with this one was two fold...The swing keel retracted up and I had a dickens of a time clawing it out of the keel stub only to loose it again having to claw it out again ,,riped a few fingernails on that one I did..second the design of the boat has to wide a hatch for the beam of the boat and with the washboards out it started to immediately take on LOTS of water so much so that when we finally righted her she just kept rolling over and pined me under the main under water..no big deal really I am a very calm type and swam free..needless to say she is turtles now and I told my friend the owners we were going to loose her...well she kept an air pocket and about 6' of the bow above water albeit mast straight down...we were of coarse able to get a ski boat to come out to us and SLOWLY pull us in and by getting the keel finally out again and the two of us standing on its very end could keep the mast horizontal enough not to dammage it as we neared shore...once there we had lots of help to lift mast and weight keel to right her and bail...by then the Park Rangers had arrived to do a head count...

The real scary thing was my friend and the owner (our Assoiate Pastor) No green horn he delivers boats for a brokerage on the side... had just been given this boat a month before and had soloed it from Washington Park to James Island to meet up for a weekend mens group crab fest..oblivious to thease design problems..

Anyway... more campfire fodder then I'v had in a long time...

PS after this experience this is the only thing I now worry about my Irwin swing keel... and am trying to figure out some sort of down locking system... The Mac's never retracted but it does make you wonder...

Last edited by Stillraining; 02-11-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook